I noted here what the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht had to say about Waterways Ireland’s budget — or at least that portion of it paid by the RoI government — for 2014. The minister listed WI’s “core activities and targets” and various other things it should be doing:
- promoting increased use of the waterways resource for recreational purposes
- developing and promoting the waterways
- attracting increased numbers of overseas visitors
- stimulating business and regeneration in these areas
- increasing recreational access along the routes of waterways
- keeping the waterways open for navigation during the main boating season.
Note that WI is not expected to promote, engage in or achieve anything in the realm of northsouthery. That’s slightly odd when it receives [the larger] part of the northsouthery budget of the minister’s department.