Royal Canal 2nd Lock (OSI 6″ ~1840)
Inland Navigation from Connaught,
A Large quantity of POTATOES, selling as follows, at the Canal Bridge, Lower Dorset-street, engaged good and Dry, at 7d per Stone. One Hundred Weight sent home to any part of the City, on the North Side of the River Liffey, for 4s 8d, carriage Free.
Encouragement to wholesale Dealers, by Grant, at the Coal and Turf Stores, Second Lock, Royal Canal.
Saunders’s News-Letter 30 June 1830
It’s a long way from Trinity College, Dublin to the pier at Saleen on Ballylongford Creek, on the south side of the Shannon Estuary. But the college owned large amounts of land in the area, including bogs, and turf was one of the cargoes exported from Ballylongford. There was a battery on Carrig Island at the mouth of the creek and a Coast Guard Station at Saleen Pier, which was built by the Commissioners for the Improvement of the Navigation of the Shannon. Read more about Saleen here.
Posted in Extant waterways, Forgotten navigations, Industrial heritage, Irish waterways general, Scenery, shannon estuary, Steamers, The fishing trade, The turf trade, Water sports activities
Tagged Ballylongford, battery, boats, bog, bollard, Carrig Island, Coast Guard, Commissioners, Front Square, goat, Ireland, jetties, Kerry, Kilrush, Limerick, lost, Operations, potatoes, Saleen, Saleen Pier, Shannon, slipway, Tarbert, TCD, tide, Trinity College Dublin, turf, vessels, water level, withy