Tag Archives: trade boats

Grand Canal Company 1861

Sailing of the company’s trade boats,
commencing Saturday, 1st June, 1861

The Company’s Swift Trade Boats start with the strictest punctuality daily to the following stations, viz: — Athlone, Ballinasloe, Limerick, Tullamore, Kilbeggan, Mountmellick, Philipstown, Monasterevan, Portumna, Dromineer, Williamstown, Killaloe, Shannon Harbour and Banagher, Belmount, Naas, Corbally, Sallins, Portarlington, Rathangan.

Sailing Bills containing all particulars may be had upon application at the Company’s Offices, JAMES’S-STREET HARBOUR or WILLIAM STREET.

The Company’s Boats do not trade to Carrick-on-Shannon or Lanesborough.

By Order, John M’Mullen, Grand Canal House, 29th May, 1861

Freeman’s Journal 1 June 1861. From the British Newspaper Archive run by Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited, in partnership with the British Library.

 

Trade boats

Relatively little has been published about the horse-drawn cargo-carrying trade boats used by the Grand Canal Company in the latter half of the nineteenth century, before it adopted semi-diesel engines. Here is some information and some speculation about the subject, but there is much that is not clear.